Below is a proposed solution to the challenge - Challenge 19 – Make Comparative Horizontal Bar Graph
1. Download the Excel sheet from the challenge.
2. Put "F" without quotes in D1 and put following formula in D2 and drag down
3. Now select A1:B9, hold CTRL and select D1:D9.
4. Insert the bar chart from Insert Menu.
5. Change the title to "Literacy in US States" without quotes and format it in bold and increase the size appropriately.
6. Remove the unnecessary vertical lines.
7. Select the x-axis values, right click > Format Axis > Select Label position as High under labels. This will send x axis to top. Under Number > Format Code, put "0%;0%" without quotes and press Add. This will convert -ve %ages into +ve.
8. Click the chart. Now, design will be enabled in menu bar. Add Chart Element + > Data Labels > Outside End.
9. Right click on any -ve % value for F bars and Format Data Labels > Under Number > Format Code, put "0%;0%" without quotes and press Add. This will convert -ve %ages into +ve.
10. Right click on Orange bars i.e. bars corresponding to F > Format Data Series > Put 100% in Series Overlap to align right and left bars and put 50% in gap width to increase the width of bars.
11. Select vertical axes value and right click > Format the font to White and Bold.
12. Right click on legend and format the font appropriately by increasing the size.
Finally, the chart would like below -
The solution can be downloaded from following link Literacy Rates Graph with Answer